In order of priority the themes, their aims and objectives supporting the Plan proposed are;
1. The Natural Environment
- Protect the natural environment;
- Respect the AONB designation;
- Prevent coalescence of settlements
- Prevent flooding;
- Carbon and energy reduction;
- Designation of settlement boundaries for the villages and town;
- Designate appropriate locations as Local Green spaces;
- Conserve and enhance the natural beauty of the AONB
- Establish natural green corridors;
- Identify locally important views that should be respected;
- Effectively manage levels of light pollution;
- To effectively manage flood risk in new development;
- Energy conservation, increase the production of renewable energy, reduction of waste, and avoidance of single use plastics.
2. Housing and Homes
- Truly affordable homes;
- Starter homes and low-cost rental homes;
- Only limited and fully justified encroachment on the AONB;
- Address the needs of the elderly young people and young families.
- The delivery of affordable housing responding to local needs;
- Market housing responding to local needs and helping deliver affordable housing;
- Promotion of exception sites through Community Land Trusts and local community led initiatives.
3. Employment, Economy & Training
- Sustain and enhance Kingsbridge’s role as a market town;
- Maintain and enhance services and facilities in the area;
- Support and grow the local employment base;
- Promote the local tourism industry;
- A vibrant re-invigorated high street in the town;
- Better locations of some employment uses;
- Encourage more training.;
- Provide additional employment space of different sizes and tenures helping small businesses and start-ups;
- Regeneration of under used employment areas;
- Support the central shopping area of the town;
- Support the diversification and expansion of tourism businesses.
4.The Built Environment
- Minimise development of Greenfield sites;
- Enhancements to Kingsbridge Quayside and town square
- Regeneration of Lower Union Road, the Western Backway and other historic employment areas;
- Respecting non- designated heritage assets;
- To conserve the area’s designated heritage assets
- Prioritise development of ‘Brownfield’ sites;
- A development brief for the Quayside and town square;
- A development brief for Lower Union Road and Western Backway area; Development considerations inside and outside the conservation areas;
- The listing and conservation of local heritage assets.
5. Sustainable Transport
- Make Kingsbridge a sustainable transport hub
- That the villages are well connected to the hub;
- Address rural isolation and connection with the strategic transport network;
- Safe routes for walkers and cyclists;
- More residents and visitor parking in the villages;
- Promote non-fossil fuel modes of transport.
- Propose sustainable routes for cyclists, pedestrians and motorists;
- Propose non fossil fuel hubs in the town and villages;
- Propose car parking standards and no net loss of spaces;
- New car parking areas in the villages;
- An integrated transport statement for the area.
6. Health and Wellbeing
- A healthy community;
- Better outside recreation activities and improved access;
- Maintain and enhance access to the water for recreation.
- No loss of community facilities;
- Support new and improved community facilities especially for young people of 11-18yrs;
- Support new development contributing towards new community provision;
- Enhance recreation in the countryside and estuary;
- Support and identify a site for a Kingsbridge community centre.