In order of priority the themes, their aims and objectives supporting the Plan proposed are;
1. Housing and Homes
- The delivery of truly affordable homes;
- Starter homes and low-cost rental homes;
- Only limited and fully justified encroachment on the AONB;
- Address the needs of the elderly young people and young families.
- Affordable housing responding to local needs;
- Market housing responding to local needs and helping deliver affordable housing;
- Promotion of exception sites.
2. Employment, Economy & Training
- Respect Kingsbridge as a market town;
- Maintain and enhance services and facilities in the area;
- Sustain a local employment base;
- Sustain the local tourism industry;
- A vibrant re-invigorated high street in the town;
- A range of additional employment opportunities, with different sizes and tenures;
- Better locations of some employment;
- Encourage more training.
- Additional employment space of different sizes and tenures helping small businesses and start-ups;
- Regeneration of under used employment areas;
- Support the central shopping area of the town;
- Diversification and expansion of tourism businesses.
3. The Natural Environment
- Protect the natural environment;
- Respect the AONB designation;
- Prevent coalescence of settlements.
- Prevent flooding;
- Carbon and energy reduction;
- Designation of settlement boundaries for the villages and town;
- Designation of local green spaces;
- Respect the policies of the AONB and establish green corridors;
- Identify locally important views that should be respected;
- Avoidance of light pollution;
- More consideration of flood risk in new development;
- Energy conservation, use of renewable energy, reduction of waste, and avoidance of single use plastics.
4.The Built Environment
- Limit development of Greenfield sites;
- Enhancements to Kingsbridge Quayside and town square;
- Regeneration of Lower Union Road and other historic employment areas;
- Safeguarding heritage assets;
- Design controls inside and outside the conservation areas.
- Brownfield first strategy;
- A development brief for the Quayside and town square;
- A development brief for Lower Union Road;
- Controls on development inside and outside the conservation areas;
- The listing and conservation of local heritage assets.
5. Sustainable Transport
- Make Kingsbridge a sustainable transport hub.
- That the villages are well connected to the hub;
- Address rural isolation and connection with the strategic transport network;
- Safe routes for walkers and cyclists;
- More residents and visitor parking in the villages;
- Promote non-fossil fuel modes of transport.
- Sustainable routes for cyclists, pedestrians and motorists;
- Non fossil fuel hub in the town and villages;
- Car parking standards and no net loss of spaces;
- New car parking areas in the villages;
- An integrated transport statement for the area.
6. Health and Wellbeing
- A healthy community;
- New and improved community facilities especially for young people of 11-18yrs;
- Better outside recreation activities and improved access;
- Maintain and enhance access to the water for recreation.
- No loss of community facilities;
- New development contributing towards new community provision;
- Enhance recreation in the countryside and estuary;
- A community centre for Kingsbridge.