A £250,000 scheme to improve Kingsbridge’s sewer network starts this month.
South West Water will be renovating sewers in the town to improve the service to residents. Work starts on Monday 24 October for five weeks, with a second phase of work taking place from January to March 2017, avoiding the busy festive season.
Work will take place in the following streets this autumn:
- West Alvington Hill: Monday 24 October to Friday 28 October: temporary traffic lights
- Veales Road Monday 31 October to Friday 4 November
- Mill Street: Monday 7 November to Friday 11 November: road closure
- Prince of Wales Road: Monday 7 November to Friday 11 November: road closure
- Duke Street: Monday 14 November to Tuesday 22 November: road closure
- Ebrington Street: Wednesday 23 November to Friday 25 November: road closure
- Church Street: Wednesday 23 November to Friday 25 November: road closure
Project manager Andy Young said: “This is a real investment in Kingsbridge’s future. Without this necessary work the sewer network will continue to deteriorate. That can lead to collapses which cause pollution, flooding and odour.
Where possible we will be using innovative no-dig techniques but some excavations will be necessary. As well as upgrading over 700 metres of pipe, we will also be preventing sea water entering the network during high tides.
We will be working hard to minimise disruption to the public and businesses as far as possible while completing these essential improvements”.
Councillor Chris Povey, Kingsbridge Town Mayor, said: “It is inevitable that we will experience some road closures and diversions during this essential work to create new infrastructure and these may well feel frustrating.
However, we have worked closely with South West Water and its partners to confirm that no work will be carried out over the busy Christmas period. Kingsbridge will very definitely stay open for business.
I hope everyone will appreciate that a few minutes in a traffic jam listening to your favourite tunes is infinitely better than a jammed sewer system! So, please keep smiling and prove that as the great town that we are, we can take everything in our stride”.
The following work will take place in 2017:
- Fore Street (north): Monday 9 to Friday 13 January: temporary traffic lights
- Duncombe Street: Monday 16 January to Tuesday 24 January: road closure
- Waterloo Road (west): Monday 16 January to Tuesday 24 January: road closure
- Wallingford Road: Wednesday 25 January to Thursday 26 January
- Waterloo Road (east): Wednesday 25 January to Thursday 26 January
- Church Street: Monday 30 January to Friday 10 February: road closure
- Church Mews: Monday 30 January to Friday 10 February: road closure
- Ilbert Road: Monday 13 February to Friday 17 February: temporary traffic lights
- Western Backway: Monday 20 February to Friday 24 February: footpath closure
- Fore Street (lower): Monday 20 February to Friday 24 February
- Plymouth Road: Monday 20 February to Friday 24 February: temporary traffic lights
- Bus Station: Monday 27 February for approximately two weeks: entrance closure
- Prince of Wales Road: Monday 13 March to be confirmed for approximately two weeks: road closure
For further information please contact: 0844 3462020